I don’t use lemon and lime interchangeably, no sir. They have such different profiles and I like to keep each special. For instance, I haven’t yet met a lemon and mango combo that I like. Lime and mango, however? Take me home, baby!
Sometimes I think I love both of them equally and then lemons come up way ahead in all the ways I can get them to do what I want – like boil ‘juiced out’ shells and puree…in a way lime and its bitterness won’t allow. And then I fall in love all over again with limes when I zest some,or juice lingers on my fingers. But I realise, I don’t have to choose and so I won’t.
Therefore, lemons are amongst my favourite things in the world. From the fragrance to the taste, I love ’em. And if they’re Meyers, then I dream about them :).
1. Admire them
2. Scratch and ‘aromatherapy’ them – zest some, smell the sunshiny freshness!
3. Juice. Lemon water first thing? Or whatever you want, to be honest
4. Then this to do with the shells – Baked Lemon Shells stuffed with cheese and tomatoes
5. And this: Strawberry and Balsamic Sorbet in Lemon Shells
6. By far one of my favourite thing to make is lemon puree – reserve your juiced out shells for this wonder that you can take sweet or savoury. Also organic lemons, yo!
7. Lemonade – it’s my son’s signature drink 🙂 and I love the inspiring story of Mikaila Ulmer, a young black girl who became a lemonade entrepreneur when she was 4 1/2 years old with her Me & The Bees Lemonade!
8. Lemon bars
13. Lemon Caramel
21. Preserved Citruses: Lemons, Oranges and Limes, the sweet way
31. Squeeze copious amounts over seafood, over seafood Paella, like my La Rambla version
39. An easy lemon cake – take it up a notch on the grill or in a grill pan. Trust me – grilled cake is a revelation
40. Homemade Limoncello, anyone?
So, here are my favourite ways to use lemons. What are yous?