Because everyday is World Jollof Rice Day.
And so I present you one of two recipes – Asun Jollof- I concocted during the run-up to August 22nd – the other? A smoky prawn version.
Get goat meat and season it with salt, ground onions and chilies.
Coal-smoke for the most intense, smoky flavour.
- Cook meat in water, with seasoning – don’t worry, the smoky flavour will not go away. Promise.
- Chili paste – corasely grind onions and chilies without water
- Chop up some green bell pepper
- ‘Stew’ – blend a mix of tomatoes, onions, chilies and cook down in some oil
- Parboil the rice, just till cooked
Add bell peppers and saute with meat.
Add tomato sauce, rice and cook. Check for seasoning, adjust and cover with foil – rice should be ‘steaming’ on low heat.
When cooked, turn up heat to ‘burn’ a bit for superb, smoky flavour.
And if you’re sensible, more sensible than I, take a photo of the finished dish.
Nice and smoky – well balanced flavours, perfectly cooked rice and all together delicious. But, one lost the intense pepperiness that should have accompanied each piece of asun meat – which is understandable as everything was mixed together. Next time, I’ll make some extra peppered goat to serve on the side.
[wpurp-searchable-recipe]Smoky Asun Jollof Rice – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]