306 views 19 comments

Partying with Meyers

And then 4 lemons went to the friend down the road
then there were 30 Meyer lemons
sitting in two boxes
Then 2 went in a pie
DSC_0507

Too sweet ‘Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie’

The leftover pie (too sweet) went into some ice cream
the ice-cream got frozen
got eaten
was LOVED
DSC_0722

Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie Ice-cream

And 3 went to the neighbour on the right
and 3 more to the friend across the street
then there were 22 Meyer lemons
sitting in two boxes
1 got cut up and the kids ‘ate’ the pieces
floral, fragrant, lemony, like kumquats
they said, they loved it

DSC_0583

Then 6 got frozen, whole
Ready for grating, blitzing, pureeing
5 went into Meyer Lemon ice-cream
4 got blitzed with sugar and frozen in ice-cube trays

DSC_0572

Perfect for topping focaccia with Parma ham and olives
 DSC_1576

Now there were 6 Meyer lemons sitting in the box
2 went into the tastiest, most fragrant lemon curd ever
1 topped the most delicious foccaccia
bitter, sweet and lemony
1 went into a strawberry curd
 DSC_0815

Then there were 2 Meyer lemons
left and lonely as can be
1 was zested and tossed with strawberries
And the last one
Boy I can’t remember where it went!
There goes the tale
of 34 Meyer lemons in two boxes
DSC_0721

—–00000—–

I had my first ever taste of Meyer lemons last June, fresh from New York and Norma.

That was a year in the making, for I’d sought them hard on my first US trip in 2011. Alas then, it wasn’t to be.

This December past, I had my sister bring 2 clam boxes full of Meyer lemons for me, and its right to say I’m obsessed. To add more juice to my ‘lemonade’, my friend, N brought me 10 more from her US trip in January! I’m in Meyer heaven.

For this reason, I’ve experimented non-stop with the juicy darlings……and come up with some gems, which I hope to share with you in the coming days. The one thing I haven’t made with Meyers which I am longing to are Lemon bars……but I will. Soon.

So, in the next few days, there will be lots of talk about the Meyer lemon- talk about its anatomy, wonderful ways to coax fruity, floral flavours from skin and pith, tips on growing your own Meyers and a series of guest posts from fellow Meyer lovers.

If you’ve had a special experience with Meyer lemons and would love to share it, let me know!

Till then, watch this space!

To the Meyer! To the Meyer!!

comments

Leave a reply »

• Linda
    January 18, 2014 at 3:17 AM

I’m thrilled to find your blog. I bought a Meyer lemon tree last spring, and it is now covered with buds. I’ve never tasted one, but have been captivated by them. I can’t wait for blossoms and FRUIT!

• April 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I’ve seen a lot of posts on Meyer lemons, but your is the absolute best. The love shines through. To me, they smell better than any flower.

• March 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Wide grins at this post. And oh my, there’s a rhyme, ditty or three to be written about the Meyer now isn’t there? Looking forward to your series.

• March 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM

The love affair with meyer lemons! I made lemon bars with my meyer lemons too. You can do a search on my blog-quite tasty.

Velva

• Norma-Platanos, Mangoes and Me!
    March 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I just love your writing and stories and I know your love for those little lemons….

• March 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM

What I wouldn’t give for 34 Meyer Lemons in a box. lately all of ours have been more orange than yellow and quite a bit sweeter (more like it’s tangerine part). I’ve been disappointed as I loved a little more tang. If I ever get a big batch like yours I definitely blending up a batch and freezing them.

• March 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I have never even heard of Meyer leomos. What make them so special? Our trees are full with lemons at the moment as well and I am looking forward to making lemon meringue pie and curd

,amy greetings, Frieda

• March 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Oh Frieda, Meyers are the citruses of the gods. They are amazingly fruity, florally fragrant and totally edible – from flesh to pith to skin!

I hadn’t heard of them till a few years ago, and only tasted them last summer. Since then I’ve been totally taken, smitten, enthralled!

If I had to describe them in 5 words I’d say they possess the ‘true essence of the lemon’. Someday, you’ll try them and you’ll understand. Lots of love X X X

I would loveeeee a lemon tree

• March 19, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Serendipitous indeed, with a poem! I bought a bunch myself last Saturday just because they were so ripe and beautiful with the perfect amount of juicy give. What great ideas with the foccacia and ice trays. I think some of mine are begging to become curd.

• March 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Oh my, I can’t tell you how timely this post is, I got a bunch Mayer lemons on sale at the grocery store yesterday, I was a little unsure what do with them…So thanks for the ideas.
    Also, I love your little glass pots, I always bring a couple with me whenever I got to Paris.
    Have you tried growing Mayer Lemons in Nigeria?

• March 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Superb Elsa, I’ve been meaning to write the Meyer posts for months…..and I am glad somewhere they are still in season! And Paris, and yogurt pots – I’m the same. I horde them….and make cute verrine dishes with them – salads, and deserts and the like. The somehow ‘taste’ more delicious.
      I have a few suggestions for the Meyers. Watch this space. And read this article: 100 things to do with a Meyer Lemon

Leave a Response