Because bacon, salted caramel and beignets are an amazing combo.
A photo-essay (or photographic essay) is a set or series of photographs that are intended to tell a story or evoke a series of emotions in the viewer. A photo essay will often show pictures in deep emotional stages. Photo essays range from purely photographic works to photographs with captions or small notes to full text essays with a few or many accompanying photographs. Photo essays can be sequential in nature, intended to be viewed in a particular order, or they may consist of non-ordered photographs which may be viewed all at once or in an order chosen by the viewer; Wikipedia
The story being told here is one of origins and of transformation. The emotion I am seeking to convey is ‘hunger’, hunger, hunger for sweet and salty, in that perfect balance that’s becoming sought after in desserts. That combo that’s testament to changing palates. Enjoy.
1. Origin – I first discovered beignets when I was doing research on Nigerian Puff-puff, the epitome of fried dough perfection. Intrigued by their pronunciation (I heart French words for all the glam they possess), ben – YAY, I discovered they are a New Orleans speciality. Apparently, the word beignet is from bigne, an early Celtic word meaning “to raise.” It is also French for “fritter.”
2 – ‘The Original Cafe Du Monde Coffee Stand is considered a New Orleans monument/ landmark. It was established in 1862 in the New Orleans French Market and is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, only closed on Christmas Day and on account of hurricanes. Beignets, served in threes are the only food item on the menu…meaning you never have to specify ‘beignet’ when placing an order. To drink, one may order the signati The dark roasted Coffee and Chicory, often serves au lait is one of the most popular accompaniments to beignets.
3. Easy to prepare mixes are available and make a great gift for travellers to New Orleans.
4. Beignets aren’t your typical donuts – being square in shape, typically about 2 X 2 inches and not the regular round of donuts
5. Beignets are usually cooked in fats/ oils that have a high smoke point.
6. Bacon in dessert isn’t new. This particular combination makes for a delicious breakfast – bacon bits, cooked and rendered of the ‘grease’ till they just crisp up.
7. In keeping with tradition, the beignets are dusted with icing sugar. The dusting makes me think of fine snow.
8. And then, a drizzle of salted caramel – rich, sweet flavour , which perfectly matches the salty bacon and the blanket, foil of delicious beignet.
9. Serving up family-style meals are a great way to bring everyone together, introduce them to new foods and generally have a blast. This was a perfect example with hands reaching for beignet after beignet…
9. Till they were all gone.
The end. Deliciousness in bite after bite. Yum.[wpurp-searchable-recipe]Photo Essay: Salted Caramel-Bacon Beignets – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]