Quick and easy and ohhhhhhhhhhhhh so good. Think as a dip, dressing for salads especially noodle salads and suya ones and honestly, licking out of a jar and the base of a sauce (cf. Peanut Butter Chicken).
You need a few ingredients, notable amongst which is hot water. Yes hot water. That’s the ‘everything’ of this. Well, and peanut butter yes but hot water is the magic.
It’s what melts the ball of nutty butter, what draws out the citrus oils from the lime zest and lifts the flavours of sesame.
And yes, a jar. And then, you’re ready to rock and rule the world.
- 100 ml hot water
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth of chunky)
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- Drops of sesame oil
- Dash of fish sauce
- Red chili powder, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- Combine all the ingredients in a jar
- With care, considering the jar is hot, put the lid on. Wrap the lid in a napkin or light tea towel and shake till the peanut butter melts and an even consistency sauce forms
- Taste and adjust seasoning to taste
- Refrigerate and use within 4 days
- You could use a combination of water and coconut milk
- If the mix is too light, add more peanut butter; if too thick then thin