I love mangoes but I have to admit I’m shy of them in processed drinks and smoothies.
The rich nectar is far too thick for my tongue and heavy.
This season, I’m determined to do more than ‘eat mangoes’. I’d very much like to drink them – the colour is beautiful to the eye.
Bright, orange, indicative of the goodness within.
I don’t know if it was the lime quarters that made it look a bit curdled but that didn’t come through on the tongue. It was a smooth, sweet and refreshing blend of mango puree and lime.
- 3 cups fresh mango, about chunks, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest + 1/2 cup juice from 4 to 5 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- Lime & Scent leaf syrup
- 1 cup loosely packed scent leaf (Substitute with mint, basil or a combination of both)
- Pared zest of 1 lime and juice
- 1 cup granulated (raw cane) sugar
- Soda water
- Vodka (if desired)
- Thinly sliced limes and mint for garnish
- Combine the mango chunks, lime and ginger together and blend till smooth, about 1 to
- 2 minutes.
- Pass through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing down and scraping back and
- forth with a spatula to get rid of the fibres and extract as much of the mango essence as you can.
- Chill juice till ready to use.
- Combine the sugar, 1 cup water, pared lime, cardamom pods and
- scent leaves in a small saucepan set on medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until a thin syrup forms.
- Strain to separate syrup from all else and chill till ready to use.
- Combine the chilled mango juice, syrup and ice in a jug
- Stir to combine, then top up with water. I added some soda work for a bit of fizz
- For a non-alcoholic version, pour into glasses filled with crushed ice and lime wedges
- For an alcoholic version, pour into glasses filled with crushed ice, lime wedges and as much vodka as you like
- Either way, kick back, relax and enjoy tropical sunshine. On your couch.
We had this at a little lunch with friends and family and it was a hit. The limes added the perfect zing to cut the sometimes over-the-top creaminess of mangoes. The scent leaf syrup added a certain je ne sais quoi as did the soda water.
Perfect sunshine of the season, in a cold, tall glass, with none of the heaviness I worried about.
Love it.[wpurp-searchable-recipe]Mango’ade – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]