On another edition of Friday Cocktails, mangoes are the star.
And this drink, this shandy is one of the most fragrant mango drinks I’ve ever had.
See, I’m not a huge fan of mango drinks – I find them overly rich and thick but here, the sweet fizz of lemon and lime soda and ‘hoppy’ lager combined with refreshing lime juice, fresh green chilies and warming ginger make this an awesome combination.
I have to say that a lot of creativity is birthed by inspiration and I have to Angela Davies of The Kitchenista Diaries for sharing an article about mangoes and myrcene.
Myrcene, which is the terpene responsible for giving mangoes their unique smell, is also found in high concentrations in hops…. Myrcene has a light earthy and fruity clove like odor in small amounts, but in higher concentrations like those found in hoppy beers, the odor can be much stronger; Source
Then my heart and my mind skipped and hopped (no pun intended :)) to Shandy – that refreshing combination of lager and lemon-lime soda (Sprite, 7 up) that was popular in Nigeria in the 80s, . And then I wondered how that combination would work with mangoes, because…yes, science say they have similar compounds and contrary to opposites attract, sometimes like and like work a treat.
Which is how come I ended up making a gorgeous Mango Shandy.
Which goes beautifully with many things, like Akara/ Nigerian Toast.
So yeah, thank you @Kitchenista and thank you inspiration. This will be my go to all of Mango season.
- 2 cups sweet, ripe mango pulp/ flesh (about 4 medium
- 1 – 2 coins of fresh ginger
- 1 – 2 long green chilies
- ½ cup water
- 2 cans lager
- 2 cans lemon-lime soda
- Freshly squeezed lime juice, to taste
- Combine mangoes, ginger, chilies and water. Blend till smooth
- Pass through a mango mixture through a sieve to get rid of the fibre
- In a jug, combine equal parts lemon and lime soda. Add half the mango puree, stir and taste. Adjust as required by adding more or leaving as is.
- Pour into glasses with a squeeze of lime juice
- Enjoy a refreshing shandy